- The main feature of the monthly Piney Woods Wildlife Society meetings is a presentation about a wildlife, bird or nature topic.
- Because of Covid, meetings are now being held virtually — see details below. Meetings are held monthly on every second or third Wednesday (except June, July and August). Normally these meetings are in person at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston County Park located at 709 Riley Fuzzel Road in Spring. [See below for specific dates for each month.] This park is just east of Old Town Spring 0.2 miles east of the Hardy Toll Road, before you get to the Spring Creek Bridge (see additional directions and map at the bottom of this page). FYI, there are occasional exceptions to the third Wednesday — when the Big Stone Lodge has other commitments, we generally try to move to the second Wednesday. Make sure to keep an eye here, on Facebook, or on the newsletter for exact dates & location.
- The regular monthly meetings get underway at 7 p.m. with snacks and (when held in person) social time beginning at 6:30 p.m. In 2021, the last meeting date before summer break is targeted for May 19 and will be virtual via Zoom and start at 7 p.m. After the summer break, we start back up with meeting dates targeted for Sep 15, Oct 20, Nov 17 and Dec 15 (format to be decided).
- May 2021 PWWS Meeting: Paul Gregg will be our speaker for the May virtual Zoom meeting of the Piney Woods Wildlife Society scheduled for Wednesday, May 19th, at 7 p.m. He will be taking us on a journey, showing us that it isn’t completely about birds.
- PWWS monthly meetings normally (in non-Covid times) take place at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston County Park. Directions to meeting location for Wednesday meetings (709 Riley Fuzzel Road, Spring, Texas):
Aldine-Westfield dead ends into Riley Fuzzel Road just northeast of Old Town Spring so there are several ways to get there:
Take the Rayford/Sawdust exit and go east on Rayford Rd. After about 4 miles, take a right (south) onto Grand Parkway Frontage Road / Riley Fuzzel Road. Drive 1.4 miles to the Dennis Johnston Park (on the right before Hardy Toll Road and after the Spring Creek Bridge). Turn right into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
From I45, take Spring-Cypress Road exit east and follow it across the railroad tracks to Aldine Westfield passing through Olde Town Spring. Turn left onto Aldine Westfield and then right onto Riley Fuzzel for a short distance to get to Dennis Johnston Park. It will be on the left just after Hardy Toll Road and before the Spring Creek Bridge. Turn left into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
From Mercer Arboretum, take Aldine Westfield north until it dead ends into Riley Fuzzel. Turn right on Riley Fuzzel, go under the Hardy Toll Road freeway and turn left into Dennis Johnston Park (before the Spring Creek Bridge). Drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
Watch for a sign for the Park on the north side of Riley Fuzzel. You will need to drive all the way back to the Big Stone Lodge and the parking next to it.