- The main feature of the monthly Piney Woods Wildlife Society meetings is a presentation about a wildlife, bird or another nature topic.
- As of September 2021, the Piney Woods board has decided to stay with virtual meetings because of the increase in Houston area Covid cases. If you wish, you can email the PWWS President at the email listed on the home page with your opinion.
- Meetings are held monthly on every third Wednesday (except June, July and August) — occasionally, we have to move the meetings to the second Wednesday because of conflicts. During normal times, these meetings are held in person at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston County Park located at 709 Riley Fuzzel Road in Spring. [See below for specific dates for each month.] This park is just east of Old Town Spring 0.2 miles east of the Hardy Toll Road, before you get to the Spring Creek Bridge (click the link to Google Maps above or see additional directions and map at the bottom of this page). FYI, there are occasional exceptions to the third Wednesday meeting time — when the Big Stone Lodge has other commitments, we generally try to move to the second Wednesday. Make sure to keep an eye here, on Facebook, or on the newsletter for exact dates & location.
- The regular monthly meetings get underway at 7 p.m. Once we get back to in-person meetings, we should eventually get back to having snacks and social time beginning at 6:30 p.m. In 2021, our meeting dates are targeted for Oct 20, Nov 17 and Dec 15. For Spring 2022, our meeting dates are Jan 19, Feb 16, Mar 16, Apr 20, and May 18.
- October 2021 PWWS Meeting: Our October meeting will happen on Wednesday, October 20th, at 7 p.m. Topic & format (in-person or virtual) to be announced soon. Keep tuned here or on our Piney Woods FaceBook page to see if we will be able to go back to an in-person meeting or if we need to stay virtual. Kathy Coward, our president, will make the decision closer to the meeting date depending on the Covid status in our county.
- PWWS monthly meetings (during non-Covid times) normally take place at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston County Park. Directions to meeting location for Wednesday meetings (709 Riley Fuzzel Road, Spring, Texas):
Aldine-Westfield dead ends into Riley Fuzzel Road just northeast of Old Town Spring so there are several ways to get there:
Take the Rayford/Sawdust exit and go east on Rayford Rd. After about 4 miles, take a right (south) onto Grand Parkway Frontage Road / Riley Fuzzel Road. Drive 1.4 miles to the Dennis Johnston Park (on the right before Hardy Toll Road and after the Spring Creek Bridge). Turn right into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
From I45, take Spring-Cypress Road exit east and follow it across the railroad tracks to Aldine Westfield passing through Olde Town Spring. Turn left onto Aldine Westfield and then right onto Riley Fuzzel for a short distance to get to Dennis Johnston Park. It will be on the left just after Hardy Toll Road and before the Spring Creek Bridge. Turn left into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
From Mercer Arboretum, take Aldine Westfield north until it dead ends into Riley Fuzzel. Turn right on Riley Fuzzel, go under the Hardy Toll Road freeway and turn left into Dennis Johnston Park (before the Spring Creek Bridge). Drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
Watch for a sign for the Park on the north side of Riley Fuzzel. You will need to drive all the way back to the Big Stone Lodge and the parking next to it.