Upcoming Piney Woods Wildlife Society Field Trips
From September through May on the first Saturday of those months, join a park naturalist or volunteer at Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center for a free bird walk beginning at 7:45 a.m. Take an early morning glimpse at the park’s bird life. Make sure and bring your binoculars and (optionally) a field guide. If you wish, you can confirm the date and time by calling the park at 281-446-8588 or by checking the Jones Park web site’s program guide and calendar. The park is located at 20634 Kenswick Drive, Humble, Texas 77338.
Free Local Birding Field Trips
In addition to Piney Woods Wildlife Society, there are many other local bird clubs and Nature Centers in the Greater Houston area that offer free field trips. Everyone interested in birds, regardless of skill level, is welcome to join these birding field trips.
Following are some examples of free birding field trips around the Houston area:
- Third Tuesday Bird Walk in Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve is a monthly free bird survey sponsored by Houston Audubon of this new nature preserve located near Highway 249 and Louetta Road at 20215 Chasewood Park Dr, Houston, TX 77070. [NOTE: This survey has moved from the 3rd Monday to the 3rd Tuesday as of December 2018.] The bird survey begins at either 7:30 a.m. (during hotter months) or 8 a.m. (during the rest of the year). The survey lasts about 1.5 or 2 hours and happens every month of the year. Check the Houston Audubon site for specifics.
- “Second Saturday in Kingwood’s East End Park” is a free bird walk with LHANC (Lake Houston Area Nature Club) at 7:30 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month from September through May. No need to RSVP. Just meet the LHANC group at the parking lot of Kingwood’s East End Park (located at the east end of Kingwood Drive just past Sweetstem Drive). Everyone is invited — you don’t have to be a member of this (free) group of birders. To see some information about the park, try the Kingwood Park site and scroll down to “East End Park”.
- Kleb Woods Nature Preserve (http://www.pct3.com/parks/kleb-park/) is a nice property in Tomball opened in the 1990’s. There is an impressive list of birds that has been seen on this property. You can join them at any of their walks which happen each Wednesday (scheduled for either 8 a.m. or 8:30 a.m. depending on the month) plus on the first Saturday of each month at 8 a.m. The Nature Center says that the bird walks at Kleb go through the summer as well, but please go to the “event calendar” on Kleb Woods web site or call the Nature Center at (281) 357-5324 to double check their calendar for the most up to date times and days.
- Sheldon Lake State Park’s “Bird Walk & Talk” is a free bird walk at 8:00 a.m. on the third Saturday of each month from September through May. No need to RSVP. Just meet the group at the Sheldon Lake SP’s Environmental Learning Center (ELC). Turn into the park at 14140 Garrett Rd, Houston, TX 77044, and drive about a mile and a half south on the Park Road 138 to the ELC. For more information about Sheldon Lake State Park, call them at 281-456-2800 or visit their web site at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/
- The Ornithology Group of the Outdoor Nature Club in Houston offers field trips most months in September through May usually on the third Saturday or Sunday. See more information at their web site at http://www.ornithologygroup.org and click on “Field Trip” and Also on “Birding Events”. Also, information is available on their Facebook page.
- The Houston Audubon Society offers field trips each month in September through May. They also sponsor many bird survey outings throughout the Houston area each month — everyone is welcome to attend these. Here is a list of just some of their monthly bird surveys. Be sure to click on these links to go to the HAS site with details about the survey meeting times/dates:
- Archbishop Fiorenza Bird Survey – every 4th Wednesday/month
- Armand Bayou Bird Survey – every 2nd Saturday/month
- Baytown Nature Center Bird Survey – every 3rd Thursday/month
- Hermann Park Bird Survey – every 2nd Monday/month
- Hogg Bird Sanctuary Survey – every 1st Monday/month
- Houston Arboretum Bird Survey – every 2nd Saturday/month
- Houston Botanic Garden – every 1st Thursday/month
- Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve – every 3rd Tuesday/month
- Willow Waterhole Survey – every 3rd Saturday/month
- Woodland Park Bird Survey – every 4th Saturday/month
You can find more information at their web site at http://www.houstonaudubon.org and then go to the “Birding”, then click on “Bird Survey“, then click on the survey you are interested in. The Bird Surveys are all free, while some of the Field Trips require membership.
Remember, anyone is welcome to attend the many HAS bird surveys that are scheduled each month – just check the HAS web site for details. If you wish to attend the field trips, make sure and RSVP. The contact information is listed with the descriptions of the field trips. Also, you can call the Houston Audubon at 713-932-1639 with any questions.