- Meetings are held monthly on every third Wednesday* (except June, July and August) at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston County Park located at 709 Riley Fuzzel Road in Spring. This park is just east of Old Town Spring 0.2 miles east of the Hardy Toll Road, before you get to the Spring Creek Bridge (see additional directions and map at the bottom of this page).
- The regular monthly meetings get underway at 7 p.m. with snacks and social time beginning at 6:30 p.m. In 2018, our remaining meeting dates are Oct 17, Nov 14* and Dec 12*.
* Please note that the dates for the November and December meeting in 2018 have been moved to the SECOND Wednesday (Nov 14 & Dec 12). The original November meeting date was too close to Thanksgiving and there was a conflict at the Big Stone Lodge for the original December date.
- November PWWS Meeting:
Join us for an interesting program entitled “Tigers, Birds and More of India” by Jeff Parker on Wednesday, November 14th, at 6:30 p.m. Please note that this meeting has been moved to the second Wednesday because of the proximity to Thanksgiving.
Jeff Parker is an award-winning wildlife and nature photographer whose work has appeared in Audubon, Texas Parks and Wildlife, American Profile and Outdoor Photographer. He leads photo tours and workshops throughout South Texas, Colorado and the Americas. Jeff and his wife, Mary, have authored Explore Texas, a nature travel guide published by Texas A&M University Press, College Station.
Social time with snacks provided is at 6:30 p.m. and the meeting starts at 7 p.m. The meeting takes place at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston Park located at 709 Riley Fuzzel Road in Spring. See direction information at the bottom of this page.
- December PWWS Christmas Potluck
Bring a potluck dish and join Piney Woods for a Christmas gathering on Wednesday, December 12th, at 6:30 p.m. (Please note that this meeting has been moved to the second Wednesday because of the proximity to Christmas and a conflict at Dennis Johnston Park.) The gathering takes place at the Big Stone Lodge at Dennis Johnston Park located at 709 Riley Fuzzel Road in Spring. See direction information at the bottom of this page.
More information about a possible photo share opportunity will be coming soon.
- Directions to meeting location for Wednesday meetings (709 Riley Fuzzel Road, Spring, Texas):
Aldine-Westfield dead ends into Riley Fuzzel Road just northeast of Old Town Spring so there are several ways to get there:
Take the Rayford/Sawdust exit and go east on Rayford Rd. After about 4 miles, take a right (south) onto Grand Parkway Frontage Road / Riley Fuzzel Road. Drive 1.4 miles to the Dennis Johnston Park (on the right before Hardy Toll Road and after the Spring Creek Bridge). Turn right into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
From I45, take Spring Cypress Road exit east and follow it across the railroad tracks to Aldine Westfield passing through Olde Town Spring. Turn left onto Aldine Westfield and then right onto Riley Fuzzel for a short distance to get to Dennis Johnston Park. It will be on the left just after Hardy Toll Road and before the Spring Creek Bridge. Turn left into the park & drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
Take Aldine Westfield north from Mercer Arboretum until it dead ends into Riley Fuzzel. Turn right on Riley Fuzzel, go under the Hardy Toll Road freeway and turn left into Dennis Johnston Park (before the Spring Creek Bridge). Drive all the way around following the curve to the left until you reach the Old Stone Lodge.
Watch for a sign for the Park on the north side of Riley Fuzzel. You will need to drive all the way back to the Big Stone Lodge and the parking next to it.