Upcoming Piney Woods Wildlife Society Field Trips
From September through April on the first Saturday of those months, join Al Barr at Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center for a bird walk beginning at 7:45 a.m. Take an early morning glimpse at the park’s bird life. Confirm the date and time by checking the Jones Park web site’s program guide and calendar or by calling the park at 281-446-8588. The park is located at 20634 Kenswick Drive, Humble, Texas 77338.
Other Local Bird Club and Nature Center Field Trips
In addition to Piney Woods Wildlife Society, there are other local bird clubs and Nature Centers in the Greater Houston area that offer field trips that you can join as well. A few examples are:
- Third Monday Bird Walk in Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve is a monthly free bird survey sponsored by Houston Audubon of this new nature preserve located near Highway 249 and Louetta Road at 20215 Chasewood Park Dr, Houston, TX 77070. The bird survey begins at either 7:30 a.m. (during hotter months) or 8 a.m. (during the rest of the year). The survey lasts about 1.5 hours. Check the Houston Audubon site for specifics.
- “Second Saturday in Kingwood’s East End Park” is a free bird walk with LHANC (Lake Houston Area Nature Club) at 7:30 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month from September through May. No need to RSVP. Just meet the LHANC group at the parking lot of Kingwood’s East End Park (located at the east end of Kingwood Drive just past Sweetstem Drive). Everyone is invited — you don’t have to be a member of this (free) group of birders. To see some information about the park, try the Kingwood Park site and scroll down to “East End Park”.
- Kleb Woods Nature Preserve (http://www.pct3.com/parks/kleb-park/) is a nice property in Tomball opened in the 1990’s. There is an impressive list of birds that has been seen on this property. You can join them at any of their walks which happen each Wednesday (scheduled for either 8 a.m. or 8:30 a.m. depending on the month) plus on the first Saturday of each month at 8 a.m. The Nature Center says that the bird walks at Kleb go through the summer as well, but please go to the “event calendar” on Kleb Woods web site or call the Nature Center at (281) 357-5324 to double check their calendar for the most up to date times and days.
- Sheldon Lake State Park’s “Bird Walk & Talk” is a free bird walk at 8:00 a.m. on the third Saturday of each month from September through May. No need to RSVP. Just meet the group at the Sheldon Lake SP’s Environmental Learning Center (ELC). Turn into the park at 14140 Garrett Rd, Houston, TX 77044, and drive about a mile and a half south on the Park Road 138 to the ELC. For more information about Sheldon Lake State Park, visit their web site at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/
spdest/findadest/parks/ sheldon_lake/ or call them at 281-456-2800.
- The Ornithology Group of the Outdoor Nature Club in Houston offers field trips most months in September through May usually on the third Saturday or Sunday. See more information at their web site at http://www.ornithologygroup.org and click on “Field Trip” and Also on “Birding Events”. Also, information is available on their Facebook page.
- The Houston Audubon Society offers field trips each month in September through May usually on the fourth Saturday. They also sponsor many bird survey outings throughout the Houston area each month — everyone is welcome to attend these. You can find more information at their web site at http://www.houstonaudubon.org and then open the menu in the upper right and select the “Birding” link. Then go to the menu again, scroll down and select the “Field Trips & Travel” or the “Bird Survey” link. Anyone is welcome to attend the many bird surveys that are scheduled each month – just check the web site for details. If you wish to attend the field trips, make sure and RSVP. The contact information is listed with the descriptions of the field trips. Also, you can call the Houston Audubon at 713-932-1639 with any questions.